Friday, November 26, 2010

The Day I Loved Hamburgers

In sixth grade, I came home from school one day and told my parents "I don't want to eat beef.". And ever since that day, I have never really missed eating it and haven't eaten it again until recently when I felt like I needed to.


Before that day back in 6th grade, my favorite place to have a hamburger was Dwight's Drive-In on 8th Street in Huntington, WV. It was a drive-in and restaurant, so you could go inside to eat or you could stay in your car to order and someone would bring your meal out to you. My mom and I would pull in the drive-in to order and I would get just a single hamburger (no cheese) and it would come with mayo and shredded lettuce. It was the best hamburger ever! I would gladly eat that beef right now if it was possible!

Dwight's opened in 1963. It was a great place which relied heavily upon the nearby college crowd for late night/early morning feedings. Unfortunately, Dwight's closed in 1995 when I was in seventh grade. This little piece of history was demolished and a bank was built in it's place.

3 comments:

Crazy Shenanigans-JMO said...

Didn't they reopen for a little bit because I swear we went there for a late night eat after prom in 2002.

MariahSmile said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
MariahSmile said...

I'm pretty sure it wouldn't have been the Dwight's on 8th Street but there was also a Dwight's on 1st Street that wasn't a drive-in, just a restaurant.