Sunday, July 18, 2010

Gum - Good For Your Teeth!


My personal favorite gum is Wrigley's Orbit. My favorite flavors of this gum are the Sweet Mint, Cinnamint, and Berry Red. One reason I like them is because the flavor lasts for a long time. You are supposed to chew your gum after a meal for 20 minutes to stimulate saliva production (neutralizes the pH in your mouth) and to reduce plaque build-up, therefore reducing the risk of tooth decay! There is a trick to this though: the gum you chew must be sugarfree gum! Another reason I like Orbit is that *some* of the flavors have Xylitol as an ingredient. Xylitol is a sugar substitute. The bacteria in your mouth that make cavities think that it really is sugar so they eat it but can't digest the xylitol and end up dying. I *think* the Orbit Gum that contains Xylitol are the packages that are American Dental Association (ADA) Accepted. I know for sure that my picks of Sweet Mint (even though the picture above doesn't show it) and Cinnamint have the ADA Seal and include Xylitol as an ingredient, but I'm not sure about the Berry Red. All Orbit Gum is sugarfree though.


So when you are at the grocery store check-out, make sure you see three things on your gum's packaging to make sure it is good for your teeth:
  1. ADA Accepted
  2. Sugarfree
  3. Check the ingredients for Xylitol

Also, Xylitol can be life-threatening to animals who consume it, so keep it out of your furry friend's reach! Call your vet right away if your pet ingests it!

2 comments:

Miranda said...

Orbit is our favorite gum :-) We should seriously buy stock in it because Shelby chews 2 pieces at a time! ha! :-)

Crazy Shenanigans-JMO said...

I love Orbit gum as well! They always have so many great flavors and since I have sugar issues I can always find it sugar free!