Sunday, January 31, 2010

Oral Hygiene Care 101

***Warning: Teeth Geek Post Alert!***


I watch American Idol just about every week with my friend, Rachel, who is also a future dental hygienist such as myself. We comment on the people's teeth regularly who are trying out. Many of the people who are awful have terrible teeth and many who make it have those pearly whites. I wonder why? I tried googling it and came up with some information not pertaining to what I wanted to know. But anyway, I will talk about the stuff I did find out instead. I found that Eliott Yamin, from Season 5, had bad teeth due to his Diabetes. This could have been totally prevented with frequent visits to the dentist and good oral care habits. People with systemic diseases need to especially take care of their teeth because these health problems can lead to periodontal disease.

Some tips:

  • brush your teeth at least twice daily for 2 minutes each time!
  • floss your teeth at least once daily!(make a "C"-shape around your tooth and move the floss up and down making sure the floss goes under your gums)
  • brush your tongue with your toothbrush or use a tongue scraper! (bacteria can accumulate on you tongue, just like your teeth, causing it to have a coated appearance and giving you bad breath!)

  • visit your dental office regularly! your dentist or dental hygienist should provide you with the information you need to know to keep your smile happy

And no, I did not have to post this blog for school! Just tired of seeing bad teeth while people are singing on tv and thought people might be interested! Plus, I have nothing to do this semester so I'm bored.

I also found a funny "Idol translator". I guess it came up when I was searching for "American Idols, teeth" because of this: Likability: “Big teeth.” I don't understand what this means but everything else is pretty funny.

In other news... Phil was here for a much needed extended weekend! Went shopping at the Tanger Outlet, played tons of Wii Mario Party and Mario Kart with Katie(my roomie) and Joe(her boyfriend), and took turns cooking dinner for eachother. It was nice and relaxing!

Okay, going to start reading a new Charlaine Harris book called "Shakespeare's Landlord". It is the first in her Lily Bard Mystery Series.

No comments: